CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Tutorials

Friday, January 6, 2012

Candy Cane Hearts {Tutorial}


Aren't these little heart lollipops adorable?  I saw them last year all over the internet on different blogs around Valentine's Day.  I ran out to the store to see if I could find any left over mini candy canes, but couldn't find any.  I saved the idea, and stocked up on mini candy canes at Christmas time with this craft in mind.  I'm posting this early so that you still have time to hunt down some left over candy canes.

To create this project you'll need:

mini candy canes
4" lollipop ticks (available at big box craft stores in the cake decorating section)
parchement paper
baking sheet
3" x 5" Cellophane Bags (103104)
Rose Red 1/4" Grosgrain Ribbon (124322)


Preheat your oven to 300 degrees F.  Line a baking sheet with parchement paper.  Unwrap your mini candy canes and place them on a baking sheet as shown below.  (Be sure to leave enough room to place your sticks later.) 

Bake them in your oven until they just start to get soft.  They don't need to melt.  I found that they went from just soft enough to overmelted very quickly, so watch them carefully.  I found that it took between 4 and 5 minutes in my oven.  Just after 4 minutes they were perfect.  At 5 minutes, they had melted and flattened out. 






Working quickly, while the candy is still warm, place down your stick and pinch the candy a little to form around the stick.


Once the candy was completely cool,  I wrapped them in Stampin' Up!'s 3" x 5" Cellophane Bags and added a ribbon bow.   I'm sure you'll find lots of sweethearts to share these little valentines with :)

Natasha and I have been pouring over the new Occasions Mini Catologue!  Have you seen it yet?  It's filled with tons of gorgeous new accessories and stamp sets.  If you'd like one of your own, please feel free to email me, I'd be happy to send you off one in the mail (Canadian customers only please).

Tons of fun Valentines projects coming up, so stay tuned! 

8 comments:

Jeri

What a beautiful idea!

Lysa

Awesome, I have to try to make these for my Grand-Daughter's class. I love them!

Penny Hanuszak

Leila your timing is perfect. I just baked a batch of muffins and the oven's still warm so I'm going to try this. Just happen to have a sack of unused mini canes......green and red stripe but what the heck. Thanks for sharing!

Penny Hanuszak

It worked! Not as pretty as yours but I'll practice. LOL! I love them so much I pinned you on my Pinterst Board. Hope that's okay!
Cheers......Penny

Brenda Rigby Riehle

Love the idea for making candy canes into heart suckers. Thanks so much for sharing it. I stopped over from Stampin' Connection.

Joy Jones

Fabulous idea...........so cute for valentines!!

Anonymous

What would the temp be used in farenheit?

Leigha Rock

Ooops! Just got a question about the oven temperature. I had written 300 degrees celcius, but I meant 300 degrees farenheit. I have corrected the post. --Leigha