CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Tutorials

Sunday, August 14, 2011

Finn's 4th Birthday


Well, another really, really, busy birthday weekend.  My son, Finn turned 4!  Where has the time gone?  I know that is such a cliche, but there are no words to describe how it feels as a parent to see your baby get so big!  He asked for a Despicable Me party.



Everyone is our house is artistic and/or crafty, so we all pitched in and we had a blast putting one together for him.  My daughter, Emma and I are the crafty ones.  We put our crafty heads together, and along with a couple of ideas from emiliehandmade.com, we took care of all the decorations, games, party favors, and treats. 

Minion Bowling (made from 2L pop bottles and spray paint)


Food and water bowls for everyone (just like in the movie)

An alien (printed on printer and pasted to foam core) for everyone to shoot at with our "Squid Launcher" guns (dollar store ping pong poppers)




Well, as I'm sure you know in the movie, they are trying to steal the moon.  So we made a paper mache moon pinata out of a dollar store beach ball and newpapers, water and flour.  We did this on the front lawn, so everyone could pitch in and get MESSY!  We had a BLAST.  Once it was dry, we deflated the beach ball and removed it, then we filled it with candy and toys.  Then we added a little more newspaper and flour/water to close up the hole we had left.  Once it was dry, we painted it with grey craft paint.  Once that was done, we handed it over to my husband, Keith, who is the artist in the house.  He added the finishing touches.  The banner in the background is printed onto Whisper White cardstock and punched out with the 2-1/2" Circle Punch.  I punched them with the 1/16" Handheld Punch and threaded them onto White Bakers Twine. 




I made banners for the straws by using My Digital Studio (MDS) and printing them onto Whisper White Cardstock.  Then I used the banner piece from the Petal Cone Bigz L Die to cut them out. 


Minion Cupcakes


And lastly, the annual chalk drawing.  Every year, my husband, Keith heads out and does a giant chalk drawing out on the road for the kids for their birthdays.  Usually the neighbourhood kids love to come out and watch him do it.  It's too bad that the picture really doesn't show you the scale of the drawing.  It is about 5 or 6 feet tall!  It's a labor of love, and once it rains, it's gone!

I know that there wasn't tons of papercrafting ideas in this post, but as you know, I LOVE crafts of all sorts, and enjoy finding new ways to use my Stampin' Up! tools and supplies in crazy, hybird ways.  Hope you enjoyed this little peek into our weekend.




4 comments:

Christine

Hello there - I'm a fellow SU demo, saw your blog on a Stampin' Connection post, and am checking out your older entries. and I have to say this entry is one of my favorites!!! My family LOVES this movie, what a creative party that isn't bought from the box at the store!!! Just <3 it!

Unknown

What great ideas !! and so easy to make. Thank you for this !

I made a link of your article to my blog related to the minions word (www.planetminion.com), I hope you are ok with that

Cheers

KimHellmer

Love the 2L bowling. I'm looking to make that into a ring toss game. Did you put anything in the bottles to weigh them down?

KimHellmer
This comment has been removed by the author.