CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Tutorials

Friday, May 27, 2011

Birthday Weekend - Part 1


Wow, what a busy weekend!!! Not one, but two birthday parties!  The first party, was my daughter's 12th birthday.  Do you remember my daughter Emma?  I first showed you her bedroom here.  When I asked her what she wanted to do for her birthday this year, she told me that she wanted to go shopping at the mall with her friends.  What a great idea!  What 12 year old girl doesn't LOVE to go hang out at the mall with her friends?  All I had to do was drive them, give them a little spending money, and lie low a little while they had fun.  This meant I got off scott free on activities, goody bags, and all the other things that usually are required at a party.  The girls took care of that on their own!

There were 4 girls all together (including the birthday girl).  I sent each of them off with their own little purse.  I purchased the Tres Chic Handbag Tutorial from Becky Roberts here.  I used Basic Black and Melon Mambo cardstock and Newsprint DSP to make each purse a little different.  Of course the Basic Rhinestone Jewels added just the necessary "bling". 


And what did each girl find in their little purse?  A $25 prepaid Visa card.  They were thrilled......and so was I.  See.......activities and goody bags done! 




After a couple of hours at the mall, I drove home with 4 giggling girls, admiring their purchases, and they enjoyed some birthday cake (yep, make by ME) and "hors d'oeurves".  


Earlier in the week, my daughter (who is ALSO a "craft-a-holic") and I made these cute little bath bombs.


The recipe is mix 1 cup baking soda with 1/2 cup citric acid (you can find this in powdered form at health food stores and specialty stores).  Put some water in a spray bottle, and add one or 2 drops of scented oil.  My daughter already had some on hand from a soap making kit she once had.  We chose one that smelled like candy.   Lightly mist the baking soda and citric acid with water.  Add only a little at a time.  You want the mixture to be a little crumbly, and to barely hold together when you press it together.  Then pat it into cupcake holders set into a cupcake tin.  Let dry at least 24 hours.  Lastly, we piped some royal icing on top and let dry.  


You can find a tutorial for the the cupcake stand on my Cupcake Challenge post here.  This time, I changed up the colours and added Basic Rhinestone Jewels instead of pearls.

Well, that was actually a busy day.  Next time I come back and post, I'll show you all the projects for the party the next day!

Until then............








4 comments:

Ange McKay, North Shore Stamper

Seriously girl! You are brilliant!!!!!! I want you for a mom:) You totally get 12 year olds!

Inking Idaho

Leigha - these little handbags are absolutely fantastic!!!!!!!!! What a great party. So darling - great, great work!!

LeAnne

Holy guacamole, these things are AWESOME! All of it!!! You have made me want that handbag tutorial...seriously cute stuff! What a generous mom you are!

Ann Schach

Wow! What a memorable birthday party! The purses are fabulous! Fabby looking cake, too!